Tuesday 12 November 2013

Web Conference

Indispensable E-Tools


“Skype, Gmail, iPhone, Facebook, and YouTube” 

I learned these words the same time as the rest of the world  learned them. These vocabularies were a foreign language to everybody at the time. 

When I had a business, these new vocabularies were necessary tools to operate my business. I was surrounded by teenagers and working holiday overseas workers. Facebook was the best way to communicate with my youth staffs. I used Gmail because I could access my e-mail from anywhere without my computer. If I didn’t have Skype, it was hard to interview an oversea applicant. YouTube helped me to develop the new menu items. And all these tools, I could manage by iPhone.

When I enrolled in this PIDP course, I was very surprised that these technologies also influenced the educational field.

“Seeing Is Believing” 

My first meeting with my professor on Skype, made me feel comfortable and I felt connected to the course. This Skype interview gave me an opportunity to approach individual issues without interrupting the other classmates. I've always worried to speak in front of the group because of my Japanese accent. I don’t want to slow down the class or interrupt the session. However this individual Skype interview was comfortable. It helped me to become familiar with my professor. He was no longer a stranger to me. 

In as a regular class, you meet classmates who can become your lifetime friends. I didn’t have this hope from this online course. It did not seem possible. Before I connected with my learning partner, Natalie, I was confused, worried and scared. But after I met her, I was so happy. We can share our concerns and our passions like regular classmates. She is a great support for me to keep going my studies. 


“While you are studying with a partner there are in fact two minds striking the same problem. Each of them will look at the problem from a different point of view.The other advantage is that you can learn more of what you didn’t know from your partner  
Malsawmi, Advantages of Studying with a Partner, line 15, Education and Science, January 28, 2011 


It was very interesting to discover that Natalie and I were researching the same topic but were examining different contents. She was researching our topic in the health and social care environment and I was exploring it ESL classroom management strategy. 
 

 "I know that I know nothing” 

Like Socrates's quote, conversations with Natalie helped me to realize to know my ignorance but also to explore my knowledge. When Natalie explain to me her research results, it often was totally new to me. I would never have thought about the topic that way. This gave me another angle to see the topic when I was hitting the wall.

We also compared our notes to make sure we were going in the same direction.We helped each other with any problems we had.

From the web conference I learned the learning partner is extremely helpful for studying process and these social media tools supports the distance learners. Social media is indispensable in many, if not all, field. As future educators, we need to stay current in their use.
    
Resource from : Malsawmi, Advantages of Studying with a Partner, line 15, Education and Science, January 28, 2011 Advantages of studying with partner

No comments:

Post a Comment